Saturday, September 5, 2015

Our Birthdays and Anniversary

   I've been trying to establish some kind of anniversary tradition but every year it seems like things happen differently. Maybe our tradition will be to never do the same thing twice? I don't know. Our first anniversary we ended up at Bear Lake with the family, our second we went on a backpacking trip in the Uintas, and this year Garrett took me back to Loghaven in Millcreek Canyon, which is where he took me the night he proposed to me. It beautiful in the daylight, and I had no idea that the seat I sat in last time was looking straight at a waterfall hidden in the dark.
Displaying IMG_1213.JPGDisplaying IMG_1222.JPG
I'm pretty sure they seated us at the exact same seat we sat in last time! We got the same Alpine nachos as last time too, but they changed the cheese so it's not raclette anymore- still delicious. Displaying IMG_1206.JPG
      Later that night Garrett surprised me with an absolutely gorgeous handmade headboard that he had worked on while I was in New York. It's perfect. It's exactly what I wanted, and its only that much better that it was made by him.
     Whitney and Austin Lee were in town this weekend and stayed at our house much to our delight... but somehow I managed to not take any pictures. Garrett and Ken have been working lots of hours in cram time for their first pipeline pull though this weekend, and everything has to go right so I haven't seen much of him. He did manage to take some time off on my birthday to take me on a lunch date, and then later at night we went on a wonderful bike ride around town on the old fixies to look at a house we were considering buying. It looks like that one is out of the question at this point though. I was also able to fit in a ride with the South Jordan team up by Equestrian park, and discovered all the fun pump track stuff in that back little area. We were planning on spending some time with the girls all together to celebrate but Mckenzi ended up getting admitted to the hospital for decreased fetal movements and other things just took over. Luckily Krysta came over the next night and we had some time to sit and chat. Garrett was so thoughtful as always and showered me with everything I love. I'm pretty sure he's better at choosing my outfits than I am, and I trust him completely to buy me clothes.
   The next morning after my bday I met up with good ol' Sadee for some time out doing what we do best together- discovering new adventures!
Her hubby Sean was our mountain guide and took us up the Wasatch Crest in Big Cottonwood Canyon for an awesome bike ride. I had a pretty good fall on the Spine, but actually managed to ride the whole thing.
I need to catch up more often with my good nursing friends again, it's just so fun!

Oct 2nd 2015

      For Garrett's bday I went waaaaay overboard and got him the mountain bike he's been looking at getting for a while. He's getting to the point were his skill exceeds his bike by quite a bit and he needs something with new grippy tires and decent brakes. After some shopping around, haggling, and a mistake made by the store owner I ended up getting the bike for 1000$ off, which is better than the deal Garrett was getting from them, so I thought I did pretty good.

I wanted to go see our Murray team race in Moab last weekend, and thought it would be a good opportunity to try out his new toy on a good trail down there, so I bribed and said I'd give him his bday present early if he would take off work and come down with me to do the Whole Enchilada. Little did I know what we were getting ourselves into.
We took a shuttle up to the top of the La Sal mountains at 11,200 feet and did 2,000 feet of climbing, and then the 6,000 foot descent into the town of Moab.
36 miles of extremely  difficult terrain. It shook me to pieces, and wore me into the ground. My legs look like a trauma case, although I only fell once. Halfway through we realized we were getting low on water even though we had brought 3+ liters apiece, and I started getting worried. It seemed like my body was done, and I couldn't handle another jolt. Refer to my diary for a more detailed explanation of the miracles that happened that day. I made it out alive! That in itself was an accomplishment. The trail itself was beautiful, and descended through multiple different climates, starting with alpine forest, then birch forest, then Park City-like scrub, and ending in redrock. It was probably the hardest day of my life thus far. That night Garrett went home to work and I stayed with Emily, Justine, and Joe Collett to explore Arches and watch the races. They got to see Delicate Arch for the first time.

Our boys did well racing for the most part and we had some fun discovering Dead Horse Point, which I'd never seen before and loved it. I always imagine what the first people to discover these places were thinking. I wonder if the cowboys that corralled their horses here were as amazed with it as we were. We arrived right at sunset, which we couldn't have planned better.
   It's such a shame Justine and I don't get to hang out very often. We're both so busy and she had to skip a capstone shift to come. Worth it.
I hopped the fence to sit close to the edge to get a picture, but I was too scared to hang my feet over the edge. The drop was definitely just as far down as it looks here.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment